The BWI Archives

1875 ~ The Diocesan Inspection

                                


Ruislip Church of England School

The Diocesan Inspection

- 1875 -  

Ruislip School was a school supported by the Church of England Parish of St Martin's within the Diocese of London. As such it had (and continues to have) visits from representatives of the London Diocesan Board of Education (now, 'of Schools') to ensure it provided (and continues to provide) part of its curriculum focused on the effective teaching of the Bible and of the teachings of the Established Church. 

The November 1, 1875 Parish Magazine provided the following overview of the Diocesan Inspectors' 1875 report:-

Church of England National School

The above Schools were examined in Religious Knowledge on Friday September the 24th, by the Rev. G.P. Ottey from the London Diocesan Board of Education.  The Inspector expressed himself satisfied with the Religious improvement in the bearing, and mode of answering of the children present.  Since the Examination the annexed Report has been sent for the information of the Mangers:

London Diocesan Board of Education

Report for Managers

Classes

 

Upper

Middle

Lower

Old Testament

Good

Good

Good

Special

New Testament

Good

Good

Good

Results

Catechism

Good

Fair

 

of Examination

Prayer Book

 

 

 

 

Scripture by Heart

Good

 

 

 

Inspector’s remarks on general results of Examination:

The work of the School is being done with care and skill, and with good success upon a fair proportion of the children.  Something more might be done to explain the doctrines in the Catechism, and to teach the use of the Prayer Book, if time permits.

The School is classified as good.

G.P. Ottey, Inspector

 

 

 

First uploaded: 15 April 2018