The BWI Archives
1911 ~ An Overview from the Log Book
Ruislip Church of England School
- 1911 -
Since the Revised Code of 1862, schools had been required to keep a
Log Book in which the principal teacher should make a brief daily record
of any significant events. Although many aspects of the Code disappeared
with the Education Act 1902, the keeping of the Log Book was retained.
That for 1911 was kept by the School Master, Ralph Youens.
retained. That for 1911 was kept by the School Master, Ralph Youens.
The Log Book continued to be primarily
concerned with pupil attendance. The
main communicable disease in 1911 was measles resulting in the closure of
school in May. However,
incidences of scarlet fever, high over the previous few years, appeared to
have disappeared. Medical
inspections for the pupils, first noted in 1909, had by 1911 become a
regular annual occurrence, as a result Ralph Youens brought the additional
workload involved to the Managers’ attention, resulting in their
agreement that the other members of teaching staff should also assist in
any administrative work involved. (see Managers’ minutes for
Several pupil accidents are recorded.
These, occurring on site, or immediately adjacent to it, must have
been considered sufficiently exceptional to warrant being reported.
Particularly noteworthy is an accident involving a motor car; fortunately
for the child involved at that date, it would have been travelling a very
Ralph Youens restructured the teaching groups. He identified that teaching would be directed at the highest level of expectation within each class, trusting that all rise to achieve it. In setting out the new grouping, the Master also identified for the first time since 1907 his full compliment of teaching staff and their position within the school. The majority of teachers had now received formal training and were certificated, only Annie Youens and Alice Medcalf having achieved teacher status through the Pupil Teacher scheme. Rather than the old designation of this category – Article 68 – he wrote ‘S’, taken to stand for Supplementary (cf. the Inspector’s report for 1921, Log Book 1, pp.428-30). The standard of teaching as a profession was raising and those without appropriate training being phased out. Annie Youens appears to have stopped teaching at the school in the following year; while Alice Medcalf left to get married in the summer. Despite Ralph Youens apparent high regard for her work, there were to be issues with her lack of appropriate training and overall level of competence when the managers reappointed her in 1919.
There appears to
have been no government inspection during the year.
The early summer visit may have been cancelled due to the measles
epidemic and subsequent closure of the school for two weeks.
The Log Book recorded a single visit by
Benjamin Gott, in November 1911. He
must have also made an earlier visit, either that year or towards the end
of 1910, since the Managers, in their discussion regarding the
partitioning of the large ‘Senior’ teaching room, identify a visit
prior to their meeting of March 28th. The earlier visit was certainly
in relation to the installation of partitions; given no other reason, if
there was a second visit in November, this too probably related to the
First uploaded: 24 February 2021