The BWI Archives
1951 ~ The Managers' Minute Books
Winnington-Ingram CE Primary School
- 1951 -
Below we present in outline a record of
the meetings of Managers in 1951. There were one special
meeting and two full meetings. All
minutes were in the hand of W. Dixon-Smith, often written at speed
and not always entirely legible.
Several times in the school’s history
various Acts of Parliament had redefined the relationship between Church Schools and the
State, and such relationships included the degree of financial support the
State might provide and under what terms.
The Education Act 1944 had again visited
this relationship. It now identified three categories of non-‘County’
schools: ‘Controlled’, in which the State had the majority
interest, but in return funded 100% of any capital building costs; ‘Aided’
in which the State had an interest, but the foundation body (in BWI’s
case, the Church of England) had the majority stake – for such schools
the State would support 50% of any capital building costs; and ‘special
agreement’, where the same terms would exist as for ‘Aided’.
The assumption of both State and
Ecclesiastical Authorities was that financial considerations would result
in very few church schools opting for ‘Aided’ status; in the end over
a third of the Church of England schools and all the Roman Catholic and
Jewish schools chose ‘Aided’ status.
The Special Meeting in January 1951 was
the first of several discussions the Managers were to have relating to
which status to adopt – ‘Controlled’ or ‘Aided’.
Their deliberations also led to a significant volume of associated
documentation housed in the BWI material at the London Metropolitan
Archive (Acc/1035/007). The
letter from the Middlesex County Council identified it was already
considering that the school would elect for ‘Controlled’ status, thus
allowing them to progress to a significant rebuilding programme raising
capacity from 400 to 560 and possibly also splitting it into separate
Infant and Junior entities, all part of the County’s Development Plan,
another requirement of the 1944 Act. Eventually,
as had happened on several occasions in the past, the parish was unwilling
to relinquish control of its school, and so it continued on in its highly
overcrowded premises for a further seventeen years.
The other two meetings were largely
routine for which we have provided the opening headings, the list of those
present, and thereafter only the side headings, an exception being made
for the items relating to teacher appointments, and confirmation of the
After the Education Act 1902, the Managers had needed to refer to the school’s Trust Deed, and found it missing. Eventually in 1907 they had obtained a copy. In 1951 the Managers again found themselves without documentation if they were to understand how they were to comply with the requirements of the Education Act 1944. It was on this occasion that the photostats of Kings College Cambridge’s original grant of land in 1862 were obtained (London Metropolitan Archive, Acc/1035/010/E). A further consequence of the 1944 Act was the correct form by which the school was to be known. Managers also agreed the appointments of Mrs Battersby, Miss Bardsley, Mrs Worth and passed the signed documents on to Middlesex County Council’s Divisional Officer, Mr Sabin, for completion of the process.
After the last minute for the year, Mr
Dixon-Smith included a short memorandum on the Coteford School catchment
First uploaded: 17 April 2021