The BWI Archives

1960 ~ Survey

                           

Both the size of the school and its fabric were of increasing concern to the School's Managers through the 1950s.  Early in 1960 a detailed survey of the school building was carried out and a written report made. (Now housed at the London Metropolitan Archive, Acc.1035/21/12, with additional material relating to the Report inserted, Acc/1035/21/08, /09, /10, /11). 
    
This report gives a valuable insight into the now-demolished Eastcote Road building.  We reproduce below an extract of the report that outlines the premises. 
     
We have appended to this extract a plan of the Eastcote Road site drawn up by the Correspondent to the Managers, Mr Dixon-Smith. (London Metropolitan Archive, Acc.1035/10/B) He probably made this plan in the mid 1950s when outside toilets (marked in yellow) were being added to the site.

       

Report on a Survey of the School Building
March 1960

[p.3]

Part II

Built 1930-31

 “ … consists of an assembly hall with stage, four main classrooms, infants and juniors cloakrooms and lavatories, and staff accommodation.  The rear portion of the hall and the stage are both utilised, with the aid of folding screens, as additional classrooms, and a later detached block of two classrooms has been built next the south west corner of the site, i.e. behind the west end of the main school.

The school is licensed for music and dancing.

On plan, the layout is grouped tightly about a central skylight corridor, hall to one side and classrooms to the other, with cloakrooms and staff accommodation at either end.  The latter is grouped on various floors about the west end staircase, over the boiler room.  There is an “outside” group of W.C’s near the south east corner of the site.

Construction is generally traditional, of load bearing brickwork, with timber trussed roofs.  The latter are exposed in the hall, but covered in the classrooms.  The roof is generally covered with tiles, except the south side slopes where felt has been used pending the carrying out of intended upper floor extensions.  The corridor is generally covered with a flat timber joist type roof.  Floors are of solid construction with timber strip covering in the hall, wood blocks to the classrooms, and granolithic finish to the corridors and cloakrooms. 

[ p.4]

Windows are generally of the steel sash type.

The detached classroom block has boarded and joisted floors, timber sashed windows and a simple, felt covered, pitched roof.  The walls are of load bearing brickwork.

Internal finishes vary, but are mostly plaster faced in the principle rooms with some matchboarding in the classrooms, and decorated brickwork in the corridors.”

 

Part III lists the ‘Repairs of Utmost Urgency’

Part IV gives a ‘Detailed Description of the Structure’ and has some more useful information not yet transcribed.

 


    
(Click on the picture to open an enlargement in a new window)
    

 

First uploaded: 10 August 2016